Help Desk Support
Successful Help Desk Support specialists have some common traits. They will be effective communicators, have patience when dealing with non-technical people and be problem solvers. Dealing with customers or internal staff that are having technology issues can be quite challenging but also rewarding.
Many times Help Desks Support specialists will advance into other positions within IT including, Systems Administration, Network Administration, Help Desk Management
Employment for Computer Support is expected to grow 11% between 2016 and 2026 with a Median Pay rate for in 2017 of $52,810 per year. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Some of the job duties that a Help Desk Support specialist may perform on a day to day basis are:
- Install, configure and maintain computer software of end users computers
- Run diagnostic programs to resolve unknown issues
- Install computer peripherals like printers, keyboards, and mice
- Troubleshoot applications issue
- Educate users
- Troubleshoot connectivity issues
- Generate cases in the ticketing system, log activity and follow up
If you are just starting in the IT Industry, you would likely need your foundational IT certifications, typically CompTIA A+ and CompTIA Network+. These would set you up for entry-level support roles.